Refreshing a Server List Locks Up My Internet Connection
Whenever I attempt to refresh the server list for my game, my internet connection dies. How can I fix this?
This indicates that your router or modem is getting flooded when receiving pings from servers. To resolve this issue:
- Look for a firmware update for your router and/or modem that may resolve the issue.
- If no firmware update is available, set Steam's Internet Connection speed to a lower setting to reduce the speed that the server list populates. This setting can be changed in Steam, in "Steam>Settings" under the "Downloads" tab.
- If this still fails to resolve the issue, you may artificially limit the speed at which the list populates. To do so:
- Go to Start > Run and type in: regedit.
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\.
- Create a new string value registry setting named CafeRate.
- Give the CafeRate regkey a value of 10000 and progressively decrease the value until the issue is resolved. A rate of 3000 should be considered the minimum value.
- If you are still unable to resolve your issue, you should strongly consider replacing your router with a higher-grade model.