Reclaiming a Hijacked Steam Account
How can I reclaim a lost or hijacked Steam account?
Your Steam account may have been “hijacked” if you are unable to log in, your personal settings have changed, or it appears that someone else was using your account to play games.
If you believe someone has gained unauthorized access to your account, take immediate action. Follow these steps to prevent further access to your account by unauthorized users and to ensure that your account stays secure in the future:
- Submit a Ticket to Steam Support
- Keep your account information secure
Submit a Ticket to Steam Support
Immediately Contact Steam Support about the lost account
Provide the following information:
- Steam account name for hijacked account
- The original contact e-mail for the account
- Select “Account Questions” as the category and “Hijacked or Stolen Account” as the subcategory.
- Proof of purchase for the account as outlined below:
- If retail software is registered to the account, attach a digital photo or scan of the CD Key registered to the account. Write your Support Ticket Number on the quick reference card or CD Key sticker below the code in permanent ink.
- If a game was purchased through Steam with a credit card, please provide the following:
- The Card Type (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- Full Name on the Card
- The last four digits of the credit card number - Do not provide the full credit card number
- If a game was purchased through Steam using a PayPal account, please provide:
- The Billing Name on the PayPal Account
- The full Billing Address on the PayPal Account
- The PayPal PayerID
- The Invoice ID and the Transaction ID
If any other type of payment was used, please explain this in the support ticket.
In the event that a hijacked Steam account is banned by the Valve Anti-Cheat System, Steam Support can not remove the ban.
Keep your account information secure
Complete the Account Security Recommendations guide to make sure that your computer and personal information are secure.