These instructions will help community contributors set up the accounts and tools required for submitting items to the Dota 2 Item Workshop.
There are numerous steps involved with this process but most will only have to be done once to set up a Steam account that can make Workshop submissions. Please be aware that after you submit tax information, the processing and verification may take a few days.
The instructions below will take you through these steps:
1. Set up a Steam Account for the person or business entity who owns the item to be submitted, if you do not have one already.
IMPORTANT: This Steam account must have purchased at least one product on Steam of $5 or more to become a non-limited account that will be allowed to make submissions to the Dota 2 Workshop.
2. Go here and sign into the Steam Community
3. Download and install Steam.
4. Install Dota 2
5. In your Steam library right click Dota 2 and select “View Downloadable Content”
6. Select the checkbox to download the Dota 2 Workshop Tools DLC
7. Select Play and choose the “Launch Dota 2 – Tools” option
8. Select: Launch Item Tools
9. Select the item type you plan to upload to the Workshop. If you are only setting up an account for contractual purposes select "Contract Only Submission”.
10. Add a filename for your item. This is not publicly displayed. Use only lower case letters with no spaces or special characters.
11. Click Submit
12. Add a title, description, and 512x512px image
13. You should land on the Dota 2 Workshop page where you can review and click to accept the agreement.
14. Clicking this button will accept both agreements:
15. Click "Enter Payment Info" to go through the steps to add your Company or Contact Information, Bank Information, and Tax Information.
NOTE: There are strict procedures to follow for entering name and banking information. Failure to adhere to these requirements may cause problems submitting items or receiving payments. Please read the Workshop Payment FAQ for more details.
16. Enter your contact information
17. Enter your banking information
18. Enter Your Tax Information
19. After your forms are all filled out and accepted, click Save.
NOTE:The tax form can take a few days to process. You will only have to enter bank, tax and contact information once for each Steam account that's used for item submission.
20. Once your tax information is processed, click “Finalize” to finish your submission unless you need to add another user (see Adding Another Entity below).
21. If you are making an item in collaboration with Valve, please notify your Valve contact via email of the item ID url of your submission so we can prepare it for shipping in game.
22. If you want the item to be visible on the Workshop for marketing purposes and to gather votes you should make the item public and add a YouTube video and images of the in-game items. For example, a music pack could have a video with samples of the tracks and a hero set could show various views of the items on the hero in the loadout and while performing actions in-game.
23. IMPORTANT: Adding Another User (Optional)
Here is how to add a friend on Steam:
24. Go to Steam
25. Hover over your user name tab and click the “Friends” section
26. Search for your friend's SteamID here:
27. Click "ADD AS FRIEND"
28. Go to the Dota 2 Workshop
29. Select "Files you've posted"
30. Select your item to update it.
31. In the Workshop Item Revenue Sharing section change your percentage to the proper amount and then select “Add Another User” and select their SteamID.
32. Denote the percentage of the net proceeds for the other party. Click Save.
33. After this step the other contributor will need to accept the revenue share and you are done. Once this person has accepted the link request you can proceed.
34. Click Save to finalize your submission.
NOTE: Revenue shares cannot be changed on an item once it has been submitted. If revenue shares need to change before an item ships, a new submission will be necessary.
35. If you review your submitted item in the workshop and the item link shows an error message saying "Sorry, An error was encountered while processing your request: That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.", check these two things:
36. If you are submitting branded items or logos for a team, player or caster, please refer to our Dota 2 - Team, Player or Caster Branded Items submission guidelines
37. Optional: If a pre-approved Service Provider has assisted you with your items, you have the option to give them a percentage of Valve's revenue:
Thank you for taking the time to review these detailed instructions. We are excited to see what items you'll be creating for our game!